A natural person required to be licensed under the laws of this state to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance.
If you fail to select all the lines of authority you wish to apply for, you will have to reapply through NIPR to add the line with additional
fees. The Department will not add that line without the licensing fee.
Qualifications are necessary in order to become an insurance producer, including, but not limited to:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must not have committed any act that is a ground for denial, suspension, or revocation
of license, as follows:
- Providing incorrect, misleading, incomplete, or materially untrue information in
any application or in any communication to the commissioner.
- Obtaining or attempting to obtain a license through misrepresentation or fraud.
- Intentionally misrepresenting the terms of any actual or proposed insurance contract
or application for insurance.
- Having admitted or been found to have committed any insurance unfair trade practice
- For inducing, persuading, or advising any policyholder to surrender or cause to be
cancelled any policy of insurance issued to the policyholder by any authorized insurer
in exchange for a policy offered by the licensee where the surrender or cancellation shall
proximately result to the financial detriment of such policyholder, unless the policyholder
shall have been fully advised of that fact by the licensee.
- Using fraudulent, coercive, or dishonest practices, or demonstrating incompetence,
untrustworthiness, or financial irresponsibility in the conduct of business under
a license in this state or elsewhere.
- Improperly withholding, misappropriating, or converting any monies or properties
belonging to the insurers, insureds, or others received by the licensee in the exercise
of his or her license.
- Violating insurance laws or violating any valid order, subpoena, rule, or regulation,
issued by the commissioner or issued by another state's insurance commissioner.
- Having been convicted of a felony.
- Having an insurance producer license, or its equivalent, denied, suspended, or revoked
in any other state, province, district, or territory.
- Forging another's name to an application for insurance or to any document related
to an insurance transaction.
- Improperly using notes or any other reference material to complete an examination
for an insurance license.
- Knowingly accepting insurance business from an individual who is not licensed.
- Failing to comply with an administrative or court order imposing a child support
- Failing to pay state income tax or failing to comply with any administrative or
court order directing payment of state income tax.
NOTE: Examination certificate is valid for one year from date of completion.
- Life – 20 hour course on Life Insurance
- Accident & Health or Sickness (Disability) – 20 hour course on Health Insurance
- Combined Life / Accident & Health or Sickness (Disability) – 40 hour course on Life & Health Insurance
- Property – 20 hour course on Property Insurance
- Casualty – 20 hour course on Casualty Insurance
- Combined Property & Casualty – 40 hour course on Property & Casualty Insurance
- Personal Lines – 20 hour course on Personal Lines Insurance
- Bail Bonds – 20 hour course on Bail Bonds
- Variable Life and Variable Annuity Products line of authority – exempt from both prelicensing course and examination; however, must
already hold and maintain “Life” line of authority, must have already passed securities examinations “Series 6” or “Series 7” and “Series 63”
or “Series 66 “ and must be licensed with a registered Broker Dealer in accordance with the rules of the Alabama Securities Commission.
Please be aware the fingerprint results will remain in our system only 30 days after you are fingerprinted. If the application reaches the DOI after
those 30 days you will have to get fingerprinted again and again pay the required fee. **Note: The Department can only utilize fingerprints processed
through Gemalto. We also cannot accept fingerprints completed for any reason outside of pursuing an insurance license from the Alabama Department of
Insurance. The fingerprints will be utilized to conduct a federal and state criminal background check per Producer fingerprint requirements:
Ala. Code § 27-7-4.4, Adjuster fingerprint
requirements: Ala. Code § 27-9A-17 and
Title agent fingerprint requirements: Ala. Code § 27-25-4.6. Being
possessed of sound mind and legally competent to complete this request, the applicant authorizes the Alabama Department of Insurance, to obtain any and
all criminal history information on said applicant from the ALEA and/or FBI. Applicant may challenge or appeal any portion of his/her own Criminal History
Record Information (CHRI) that he/she believes to be incomplete or inaccurate by contacting the Records & Identification Division within ALEA 334-353-4340.
Follow instructions on this link: https://www.aps.gemalto.com
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT
In accordance with the Beason-Hammon Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act, Alabama is now required to verify the citizenship of ALL APPLICANTS.
Please submit proof of citizenship using the link below. There are sixteen different identifiers, including your official driver’s license, any
one of which can be used as proof. Your license will not be issued until this documentation is received. If information is not received within
10 days your application will be rejected. Please note: Fees paid are non-refundable.
Submit Proof of Citizenship
For Credit, Crop, Legal Service, Dental Service, Motor Club, Travel, or Self-Service Storage please click on the respective
line of insurance below.
Credit | Crop | Legal Service | Dental Service
| Motor Club | Travel | Self-Service Storage
All individual producers must renew their license biennially based on their BIRTH MONTH whether the individual was born in an EVEN or ODD year.
Example: if an Insurance Producer was born JANUARY 1991 (ODD year) and applied in an even year (i.e. February 2018), he/she will renew the license the
next ODD year of January 2019 (as that is an ODD YEAR and he/she was born in January of an ODD YEAR). The next adjuster renewal cycle for that individual
will then take place in January 2021 (the next ODD year and every renewal cycle thereafter will be two (2) years). On the other hand, if the applicant
was born JANUARY 1990 (EVEN year) and applied in an even year (i.e. February 2018), the renewal will be the next EVEN year based on birth month/year.
NOTE: A producer’s license expires when the license is not renewed in the producer’s birth month. There is a 30 day grace period following expiration,
during which time the producer can renew with a $50.00 late fee plus the renewal fee.
RENEWAL NOTICES ARE EMAILED OUT TO THE BUSINESS EMAIL ADDRESS THAT IS IN THE SYSTEM.
HOW TO HAVE YOUR PRODUCER LICENSE REISSUED AFTER EXPIRATION
If the license is not renewed at this time, the license expires and all company appointments are cancelled.
- A producer may have their license reissued within 12 months of expiration without having to be re-examined by going online at www.nipr.com.
Once the license is reissued, the producer must also be reappointed.
- When former Resident producers have been without a license over 12 months, they must take the prelicensing course, retest, and get fingerprinted before
again applying for license online at www.nipr.com.
Alabama Appointment Backdating
Effective May 1, 2018, Alabama will no longer allow backdating on effective dates on Appointments and Terminations. The effective date of the Appointment
and Terminations will be the date the transaction is processed. Any effective date entered will not be honored. Please contact NIPR Support
at email@example.com with any questions or for additional information.
TOTAL INITIAL LICENSE FEE (per insurer) - $80.00
Biennial License Renewal Fee - $70.00
Late Fee - $50.00
Notice of Appointment Fee - $40.00
Appointment Renewal Fee - $25.00
ADDITIONAL LICENSING LINKS
Licensing Contact Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Please Chat with Us if you have any questions.