A "business entity" is a corporation, association, partnership, limited liability
company, limited liability partnership, or other legal entity.
- A business entity engaging in surplus line broker activities must be licensed as
a surplus line broker.
- Applicant must apply online at www.nipr.com. There is a license fee of $530.00.
Visa, Mastercard, and American Express payments will be accepted. A $5.00 NIPR transaction
fee will be charged for each initial and renewal transaction on top of the required
state fee, for all license types. NIPR FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Domestic and foreign business entities must be registered with the Alabama Secretary
of State. (Phone number is 334-242-5324, and web address is www.sos.state.al.us).
- Business entities can be licensed as a surplus line broker so long as at least one
designated responsible individual acting on behalf of the business entity is qualified
and licensed in this state as a surplus line broker.
- Name changes must be submitted with a new Certificate of Existence from the Alabama
Secretary of State.
- To terminate a business entity surplus line broker license, a letter must be submitted
to the Department of Insurance stating the name of the business, license number,
and the date of termination. A final report of surplus line business produced and
tax collected must be filed and approved before the termination will be accepted.
- To change/add a designated broker, click
here. (Form AL-DP-1) Form can be emailed to
Surplus Line Broker licenses are continuous subject to payment of a $500.00 annual
- On or about October 1 of each year, a renewal notice is sent to all surplus line
broker business entities subject to renewal.
- Renewal process must be completed online by December 31.
- Surplus Line Broker licenses expire on December 31 if not renewed online.
- If the license expires, you must reapply online at www.nipr.com.
Request to Cancel or Surrender License
TOTAL INITIAL LICENSE FEE - $530.00
License Renewal Fee - $500.00