The State Insurance Department is required by the
Code of Alabama, 1975 Section 27-7-1 through 27-8A-13, to license individuals
selling insurance in the State of Alabama. The Producer Licensing Division is responsible
for the administration of these code sections by:
- Administering the applicable statutes and regulations governing the initial and
continued licensure of all resident and non-resident producers, adjusters, service
representatives, dental service representatives, legal service representatives,
motor club representatives, surplus line brokers, reinsurance intermediaries, managing
general agents, and business entities.
- Maintaining files for all individuals and entities licensed through this office
so that public documents are accessible upon request.
- Administering statutes and regulations governing the education of licensed individuals.
- Collecting fees from license applicants and issuing licenses when approved.
- Maintaining education standards for initial licensing and continuing education of
insurance representatives to ensure that only qualified individuals are licensed
to transact insurance business with citizens of this state.
- Initiating regulatory action for the cancellation or suspension of producers and
service representatives who have failed to comply with the annual continuing education
and license renewal requirements.