Homeowner's Insurance FAQs

Previous Page                  FAQ Main Page

Q. Is my home located in a flood plain?

A. To view the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) and determine if you are in a flood plain, visit the following website: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search

Q. I had a loss, and my roof needs repair. The company is only willing to pay for repairing part of the roof, even though the contractor has said that I need to replace the entire roof.

A. The company is only obligated to pay the cost of repairing the part of your roof that was damaged by a covered peril. If the entire roof needs replacing because of normal wear and tear, you will be responsible for paying the additional cost.

Q. What protection does the personal liability coverage in my homeowners policy provide?

A. This coverage protects you and all family members living with you against claims or lawsuits resulting from bodily injury or property damage to others for which you are legally liable.

Q. Does my homeowners insurance policy cover flood damage?

A. Probably not. Most homeowners insurance policies do not offer protection against flood losses. You should check your policy under the Section I Exclusions. It would probably be listed under "water damage."

Flood insurance is available through the federal government's National Flood Insurance Program. It may be purchased through any licensed property/casualty insurance producer or through many private insurance companies that are now writing flood insurance under arrangements with the Federal Insurance Administrator.