The Fraud Unit protects the public from economic harm by investigating allegations of criminal insurance fraud. Responsibilities include receiving and reviewing reports of fraud, initiating inquiries and conducting investigations when the Department has reason to believe that insurance fraud may have been or is being committed. We actively seek criminal indictments, make arrests and assist in prosecutions to deter insurance fraud in Alabama.
In 2016, the fraud unit had three investigators and one supervisor. In February 2017, we added four new fraud investigators giving us a total of seven in addition to one forensic examiner and one supervisor.
Click Here for January 1 - May 31 Statistics
- Total No. of cases worked in 2016: 185
- No. of 2016 cases from Fraud Tip-Line: 57
- No. of cases closed in 2016: 145
- No. of cases closed with criminal charges: 23 (27 persons arrested)
- No. of cases closed in 2016 by No Prosecution: 28
- No. of cases closed in 2016 by Other: 21
- No. of cases closed by Lack of Info: 8
- No. of cases closed by Statute of Limitations: 9
- No. of cases rendered UNFOUNDED: 11
- No. of cases rendered INACTIVE: 45